Mike and I ate so so so bad B.C. (before Crohn’s) We dated and were engaged long distance and when I came to visit, we’d spend the whole weekend eating fake chinese (fasian), fried everything and sugar galore! When we went to movies, we’d sneak in at least 3 different types of candy bars and multiple soft drinks. Honestly, it was awesome.
But eating like that has a high cost (Crohn’s being just one of them) and since starting the SCD, I’ve tried hard to monitor my sugar intake. However, going to the movies bums me out. I miss my candy and soft drinks! Last night, Mike and I decided to go to “Argo” and I decided to do something about the candy situation.
As a disclaimer, eating these on a regular basis isn’t a part of a healthy, whole living plan. But once in a while, man does it hit the spot!
Paleo Candy Bars:
- 1/2 bar 100% Cacao (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw, unfiltered honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Heat coconut oil, honey and raw cacao over medium heat in small sauce pan until all ingredients have melted. Stir to prevent burning.
- Add vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Make sure to pre-soak your almonds! Roast at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours with a sprinkling of sea salt.
- Add almonds to your food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Mix almonds and raisins into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a cold ice tray, filling about 1/2 of the way up.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Crack the tray like you would ice. They fall right out! Store in the fridge to keep from going soft but they will keep their shape at room temperature.